What to Do After Suffering Injuries From a Car Accident


Being involved in a car accident can be traumatic no matter how major or minor the accident might be. If you sufferinjuries from car accidents, you could be wondering what to do next. Besides filing an insurance claim and going to the doctor, you may also want to think about turning to a car accident attorney.

Understanding Pain and Suffering

There are two types of pain and suffering that you can experience after your car accident. The first is for any physical pain and suffering you endure, and the second is for mental pain and suffering. These two types of pain and suffering are legally classified as general damages. Currently, there is no formula for placing a monetary value on general damages.

While individuals have different thresholds of pain, there is a presumption that many different types of injuries will undoubtedly be painful. For instance, breaking a bone certainly isn’t the most pleasant experience. Sometimes the injured individual needs to have screws and pins inserted to help the bone heal properly. The initial injury as well as the recovery period can lead to extensive mental and physical suffering.

When it comes to less obvious injuries, it becomes more difficult to determine just how much pain the individual is actually in, which is where auto accident legal proceedings can become a bit fuzzy without the help of an attorney.

How Insurance Companies Measure Pain and Suffering

Generally speaking, an insurance company won’t think that you’re in very much pain if you don’t seek medical attention for injuries from car crashes. The more medical treatments and recovery time you require, the larger your insurance claim will probably be.

What Your Lawyer Needs

In order to help build your case, there are certain forms of information that your attorney will need, including:

  • Medical bills and records
  • Images of your injuries
  • Documentation of lost time from work
  • Prescription records

It’s best that you visit a doctor after your accident just to make sure you haven’t suffered from internal injuries that you may not be able to perceive. After you get medical attention, schedule a consultation with a reputable attorney who specializes in injuries from car accidents. To discuss your potential case for FREE with an experienced car accident attorney from The Law Office of Richard D. Hobbs & Associates,call (770) 467-3372 now.